Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Craftiness Gets The Best Of Me

I want to get into analyzing a hand, but first some updates. Over the weekend I was able to play in four more of my online STs, cashing in three of them. I am now 5-of-6 cashes with four more to go.

Saturday, my buddy and I went to Hard Rock for some STs. He was new there and played the $120’s finishing in 5th, 6th and 5th. I really thought he would be able to cash in one of them. My first $225 I took 1st place, then 5th in my 2nd $225. I then decided to try my hand at a $535 which leads into my hand to talk about.

Everyone starts with 2,000 in chips. I have about 3,000 with seven players remaining. I am one off the button when everyone folds to me with 10-J of spades. I call the BB for 200. The button and BB call also. Flop is J-10-7 rainbow. BB checks. With 700 in the pot I bet 400. The button who has played tight so far raises to 1,000 and the BB folds. So now with action on me I go into the tank to think about this one. I figure him for three hands. He could have limped with AA, KK, QQ, JJ. Not likely since I’m sure he would have raised pre-flop. So I’m safe there. He could have a pair of sevens in which case I’m beat. Or he could have A-J or A-10. That’s what I really think he has since he limped. Or maybe I’ve just fell in love with my hand. But if I'm beat I have four outs that fill me up for a boat.

So I push all-in to see if he's bluffing me but he calls. I'm dead. He shows 8-9 for a flopped straight. A 9 on the turn gives me 7 outs of 8, 10 or J. But none come. I’m out in 7th place.

I usually get burned when I try to play crafty and then fall in love with my hand. I should have folded to his raise on the flop. I was playing tight so he had no reason to believe I was trying to steal the pot. Lesson learned. Well at least it’s another hand that goes towards teaching me a lesson.

I'm down $100 and my buddy's down $360. It's time to go home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home