Thursday, August 10, 2006

Decisions and Outcomes

What would you do with a weekend alone without the wife and daughter?

Last weekend I chose to spend it at the Hard Rock.  If I were there any longer I would have needed a hotel room.  

Quick summary.  0-for-3 Friday night at the $225 SNGs.  Moderate wins Saturday and 0-for-1 Sunday.  That’s when I entered the $85+$15 multi-table tournament.  With unlimited rebuys in the first hour I was down $420 before I knew it.  With only 13 out of 137 places paying, here are a couple of key hands.

First hand:  Bad decision, good outcome.  There is a big difference between and a bad decision and a bad outcome.  This was a bad decision.  Short stacked I limp in late position with AQoff.  Blinds call with one other early position caller.  Flop is 9-7-9.  Small blind checks, big blind goes all-in having me covered.  The other caller folds and I go into the tank.

I’ve played this gentleman before, I’m certain he doesn’t have a 9.  He’s just representing a 9.  I think he’s on some kind of draw.  If he had a nine he’d trap.  So I figure I have overcards to his draw and I call.  He shows 7-4 for two pair.   A queen on the turn and I take down the pot.  

Now I did get fortunate.  But even more than that. The early position limper folded pocket kings!!!!  Can you believe it?  If he had called I’d have been gone.

Bad decision.  Good outcome.

Second hand: Good decision.  Good outcome. We’re down to 12 people.  Two tables of six.  I call with 10-Js, the button calls and BB checks.  Flop comes 4-10-J.  I check my top two pair to trap because I know the button is playing aggressive and will sense weakness on me.  He bets half the pot and I push all-in.  He has no business calling me with his hand.  He has to know he’s beat.  But he does and shows J-8.  I take down a monster pot.

Good decision.  Good outcome.

I go on to finish 9th for $470, minus $30 tip.  Nets me $20 for four hours of tournament play.  But I have no regrets.  Even though I could have made more money on the SNGs that day, I picked some valuable experience.

I have since placed  6th out 399 online in a $15 MTT for $300.  And my $50+$5 SNGs on Paradise are going real well.  Hopefully I can not get too cocky here too soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home