Wednesday, August 23, 2006

SNG Formula

I read a post recently about something called the “SNG formula” and it intrigued me.  The best I can determine is it means the lack of real poker playing happening post-flop, on the turn and on the river.  Too often people go all-in rather than playing poker.  At a single table this is understandable.  With the stacks so small compared to the blinds big pushes happen.  

The other night at Hard Rock a 10-person single table was over in 31 hands.  The blinds just made it to 200/400 when the final three of us chopped it to get to the next table.  There was no poker played at this table.  Three people made big bets on the flops to take big leads.  That left everyone to be blinded or just push all-in with junk.  It was completely lacking in skill.

So this leads me to my own play.  I have been very successful on single tables, live and online.  Does that mean I’m not playing skilled poker?  Sometimes I think that’s true, but then I luckily take a 3rd place finish in a 117-person $60 multi-table the other night to at least make me think I’m skilled.

My take:  I think there is skill at the single tables it’s just a different skill than the multi-tables.  I also think one must graduate from single tables before adapting to the gamer of multi’s.  That’s my plan, though I have a long way to go.

Or have I completely misinterpreted the meaning of “SNG formula”?

On side note, because of my run over the past three nights at Hard Rock and Paradise I am now officially back in the black for my entire poker career.  I feel a little validation now.  LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home